2.21.2009

...are they serious?

I just encountered the headline "Why Ordinary People Murder Their Families." While I did not read this article, I do have something to say about that headline:
HINT: THEY DON'T

Even if we're only looking at this from a statistical, non-psychological point of view, THEY DON'T.
For pete's sake.

Also, I went to a fiddling workshop today. It was very fun, and the girl who taught it was my age, nose ring like mine, funny bumper stickers on her car ("When Jesus said love your enemies, he probably meant don't kill them"), and she's a famous and accomplished fiddler (http://www.lissafiddle.com/). Like I said, TONS of fun. Two little problems though: the violin and the fiddle are THE EXACT SAME INSTRUMENT. The difference is stylistic. I am not a fiddler. I am a violinist. I like classical styling and sheet music. Apparently, I am not so good at "Here I'll play it now you play it." No sheet music. all by ear, VERY FAST. I sucked. But, frankly, a lot of the ppl there were a little weak on it, which is probably why they were there... to learn. That's why I went.
The other problem? Violins are very sensitive to issues like temperature and humidity. My violin it about 40 yrs old. At some point over the last several months, most likely today when I brought it outside into the cold, it cracked a little. I am sad, and desperately hoping it will be alright. But I forgot it in my mom's car, so I can't check... I hope she noticed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the link & the music. Although my dad was an asshole, I still connect to his hillbilly roots, so fiddle music has a special place in my heart. I grew up listening to it. I like how she Lissa(?) made the comment that she was attracted to it because of it's social context.

I admire anyone that can play an instrument or has any understanding of music as I have 0.

Morning Star said...

yes..they lost the right to call themselves 'ordinary' somewhere in the process of killing their own blood

shEEsh.


ya can tell yer Teach ah think she haz a rather cute gryn
[[playful expression on face]]

c, New Eng-lend has ALL these fantastical crea- i mean people..

much liek a place sum visit only in night reveries....no

wait if ur violin is 40 yrs how in Midgard's name did ya get it? =p