6.07.2006

DDR

So, I was asked what ddr is, and I promised an answer. If you realize you already know or something halfway through the post... I don't know, ignore it or something. I need something to do at 2 am!

So, for the basics, because as we have all seen, I need images to describe things properly...

This is what a ddr(dance dance revolution, but that sounds way too lame) machine looks like:


You put in your quarters, and stand on the arrow pads...


Choose a setting. Beginner, light mode, etc. Yeah, I'm on light mode. I suck. Not really, I just haven't played more than 3 times in the last year.

Now, you select your song. I don't need a pic for this, I'll just tell you. You go to the list, choose a song based on whether or not you like it, and how difficult it is. Tada, easy step.

You get a warning,
and then your song starts, and the background images appear... someone playing the game at the same time as you for beginner mode (see above, 2 player), or a random, colorful, fast moving music video for any other mode.

As it begins, the arrows appear on the screen...



You see how the arrows, coming up from the bottom of the screen, match the arrows at the top, and the arrows on the foot pad? You have to step on the correct arrow when it hits its match at the top.


It sounds a little wussy, but it is a challenge, it is a lot of physical work, and it is so much fun.
It follows the beat, there are combinations(2 arows at the same time), there are patterns, etc.
It is the only thing I'm willing to do that leads to sweating. :)

At the end, you get graded on how well you did. A, B, C, etc. There is also AA and AAA, but those are special. And I'm sticking to the basics.

There is a korean or something version out there that involves a center X and 4 arrows at the corners, but I'm the only one I know who likes that version too. It takes a little work to switch back and forth.

So, I leave you with 2 thoughts... go back up and look at the icon at the top of this post, and appreciate it now that you understand (for those who didn't), but first...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dance dance revolution, huh?
::incredibly tickled::
that is soooo Korean!!

kay, gotta scoot off b4 1/2functioning brain spouts out more nonsense........

Anonymous said...

*tries 2 think through deafeningly loud music*

ain't 2 am waaay past yer bedtime, young lady?? ::grins devilishly::

hmm. those bars look pretty sturdy..ne'er actually stood on the arrow-pad thingy before..

no, ur on light mode..cuz ur little!! *yes, i am deservin' a slap rite bout now*

actually, tis a difficult lookin' game, reminds me of clubbing dayz...thiz looks much more fun though ;)

for liek 2 seconds, the 12-year old girl's pic almost made mine heart stop, thinking t'was you!!!! sheesh.

ya don't liek sweatin', eh?? ::soft smile plays on lips:: bbbbut what bout mountain biking..

now, im thinkin that if the Lord of the Sith himself plays this game, it can't possibly be wussy now, can it??

Lil Mizfit said...

i just hope it comes to india soon! (not likely though, hmmp...)

it seems like F-U-N!!!