5.18.2006

update...

The rain has stopped, except for the occasional drizzle. My grandmothers condo is probably ruined, but the condo managers are insured for the structural stuff, and the floors. My mother, my aunt and my uncle were all down there cleaning it out today, trying to save as much stuff as possible. My mom and I spent a couple of hours this afternoon trying to save photos and old books. Only a couple of photos were ruined, but they all had my grandfather in them... one was me and him carving a pumpkin when I was little. Losing any pics of Grampy is hard though, he died a few years ago. It looks like most things like that are salvagable though. It's the expensive stuff (tv, mattress, car, etc) that are probably destroyed, the sentimental stuff is just damaged, at worst.

On the upside, they found my grandfathers wallet (my grandmother seems to have left it as it was). In it, there's a little laminated card that has what looks like bank account numbers printed on it, all with certain numbers blacked out. Presumably the same number on each, so it wouldn't be hard to figure it out, and my grandfather did have a lot of money hidden away that we've already found, so this wouldn't be too weird. It would be really good if this worked out though, my grandmother could not only replace her car and such (she has enough money to do that), but she could save all her antiques (furniture etc). Those things mean a lot to her.

4 comments:

concerned citizen said...

Sounds like your grandmother has lots of help. that's good. It is unusual for it to flood where she is at?

Starry Lady said...

The problem isn't how much help she's getting, it's the help itself... my aunt and uncle (mostly my uncle) have a tendency to start family fights, and now they're using this as an excuse to attack their son and his wife, who just had a child. It's a little complicated, but they really need to stop.

It's not so bad... there are 30-70 yr old pictures all over my house! And all the old pictures are ok, it's the 70's onwards that we are having trouble saving.

We haven't had a real flood (I mean over a couple inches, basement type flooding) in any area affecting my family in my lifetime, and I haven't heard any mention of one from before I was born. We're New England people, we're just not used to it.

Anonymous said...

hei hei!!!

looks liek yer grandma will not be requiring the services of Dastardly Inn, eh?? ;)

me sorry ta hear bout yer Grampy
::tight hug::

wuz just wonderin, imagine if he left behind a piece of old armor that contained a map, with..::grinz::

concerned citizen said...

Familys!! ARRGH! The trouble w/relatives is that you're stuck w/them. ;)

Where I live (Pacific Northwest)we have a lot of rain. We're used to it.